stay connected

Requesting Your Military Records


A veteran or next of kin can request military records to include a DD 214 or equivalent by going to the National Personnel Records Center website.  Click on the “Launch the eVetRecs System to start your request online”.   Once you complete this form you will be asked to print out a signature page which must be signed and faxed or mailed to start your request.

You can also request your military service records from National Personnel Records Center by completing SF 180 and mailing it to the appropriate address on the instruction sheet.

Michigan veterans (home of record during military service) can request a copy of their DD 214 through the Michigan Department of Military and Veteran Affairs.  A veteran who received Michigan’s WWII, Korean, or Vietnam bonus may request a copy of their military discharge.   The Veterans Affairs Directorate also has the DD Form 214 for a veteran discharged since 1980 who requested their branch of military service provide the State of Michigan a copy of their discharge record. Requests require the signature of the veteran or next of kin, if the veteran is deceased. The next of kin must include a copy of the veteran's death certificate. Please include the veteran's full name, date of birth, branch of military service, service number and approximate dates of military service.  Michigan DD 214 Request Form has all the needed information.

Many veterans recorded their military discharge with a county clerk.  Ingham County clerk’s office or Clinton County Clerk’s office will be able to verify if the veteran recorded their discharge at these offices.   

If you need assistance with requesting your military discharge please contact us at (517) 887-4331 or complete the following to request an appointment and a benefits counselor will call you soon to schedule an appointment.