Current News

For the first time in history, the U.S. government has authorized a national dental insurance program for veterans enrolled in VA healthcare and individuals enrolled in VA’s Civilian Health and Medical Program (CHAMPVA).  You will receive quality dental care at a price you can afford.  Premium rates will vary depending on your geographic region and the plan option you select.  Visit for specific program rates. 

The Secretary of State offers veteran and military service plates.  Each plate is available in two options.  The first option is with standard plate background and the second option is with the multi-color graphic background of the Spectacular Peninsulas plate.  The fee for the standard design is $5.  The Spectacular Peninsulas design is $10.  If you are purchasing an original plate or replacing and existing plate when renewing other registration fees may apply.  You may also personalize your plate for an additional fee.  Contact your local Secretary of State office for more information.

Michigan Veterans Homeowners Assistance Programs (MiVHAP) provides financial assistance to prevent foreclosure for Active military service members, Reserve, Air and Army National Guard, and honorably discharged Veterans living or having lived in a home in Michigan.  MiVHAP may assist with residual effects related to the foreclosure crisis, since 2006.      Eligible surviving spouses of military service members, whose deaths have been deemed to be combat related since 2006, may also be provided financial assistance.  For more information and applications for assistance you can visit the MiVHAPP website.  Point of contact for this program is Erik Napieralski at (517) 294-5296.

PA 161 OF 2013 Disabled Veteran Exemption granted property tax exemption to the following eligible veterans:

1)    Has been determined by the United States Department of Veteran Affairs to be permanently and totally disabled as a result of military service and entitled to veterans’ benefits at the 100% rate.

2)    Has a certificate from the United States veterans’ administration, or its successors, certifying that he or she is receiving or has received pecuniary assistance due to disability for special adapted housing.

3)    Has been rated by the United States Department of Veterans’ Affairs as individually unemployable.

Eligible veterans will want to take their Summary of Benefits letter to their local taxing official.  This letter is provided by the VA usually in early December.  If you do not have a Summary of Benefits letter you can contact the US Department of Veterans Affairs at 1 (800) 827-1000 and request this letter.

If a disabled veteran who is otherwise eligible for this exemption dies, either before or after the exemption is granted,the exemption shall remain available to or shall continue for his or her unremarried surviving spouse.  This exemption will continue as long as the surviving spouse remains unremarried.

Disabled Veterans Exemption Information is available on the Department of Treasury website.  Eligible veterans/surviving spouses that did not meet the December Board Review for consideration of 2013 property taxes may submit their 2013 verification at the 2014 July Board of Review.  Consult your local taxing official.